It’s July, friends, and US grocery stores are just bursting with summer blueberries. I wonder if this in honour of US Independence Day on July 4? I’m not really sure, and I’m not sure I care either… as long as I can get my fill of blueberries for the duration of my stay here… and for these yum-o blueberry banana muffins.
So far this summer we’ve mostly just eaten the blueberries fresh by the handful, and put them in smoothies, but this time I decided to turn on the oven. Yes! In the first week of July, the middle of summer!! That’s because central air-conditioning is a thing in the US. I’m sorry for you folks living in Asia where your kitchens are probably not air-conditioned, but I promise you these little muffies are worth it.
You won’t believe they’re vegan and have no added oil or refined sugars. They are not overly sweet and get most of their sweetness from the mashed bananas, brightened up by a bit of maple syrup (if you want it sweeter, just use more syrup) and almond butter to add richness. For nut-free muffins, swap out the almond butter & use oil instead (same amount.)
This is a fantastic way to use up those bananas going brown on your counter top (which they do so fast in summer!), and surprisingly, you don’t taste banana in the baked muffin. It just adds sweetness and moisture, imagine that! You can whip these up in about 10 minutes, and they only take about 15 to bake.
So even in Asia, you won’t heat your kitchen up too much…
Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins
- ½ cup mashed over-ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 2 T. almond butter
- 2 T. pure maple syrup (can sub honey if not vegan)
- 2 T. flax meal + 5 T. water (mix well & let stand 5 min)
- ¾ cup almond milk + 2 t. apple cider vinegar (mix together & let stand 5 min)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (can sub GF baking mix for gluten-free)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F.) Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients (banana through vanilla.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (whole-wheat flour through salt) and whisk well to combine.)
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir until dry ingredients are all moistened. Do not over-mix or your muffins will be tough. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Scoop into the muffin cups, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake for about 15-16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Makes 11-12.
For a great read and in-depth info on the beautiful benefits of these beautiful berries, please see the following by Thrive Cuisine:
3 thoughts on “Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins”
Hi Rebecca – I’m currently making these muffins in bulk today for the Fourth of July and I’m loving them so far! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Hi Shan, oh that makes my day!!! We love these muffins so much and I hope your whole family does too! Enjoy!! And Happy 4th of July! 🙂
Pingback: Ultimate List of the Best Vegan Berry Recipes - Thrive Cuisine