You know you’ve hit on something good when you have to make two batches of it in order to have enough for a complete photo shoot! And I still had to be careful of camera angles…
This recipe originated in my Ma’s kitchen, probably about 20 years ago. I told you she was “eating clean” before that was even a thing! I still have her handwritten recipe for these kisses on an index card, and the only changes I’ve made are to roll them in balls (she flattened them into cookies), reduce the maple syrup a tiny bit, and dip them in chocolate. This indulgence takes these kisses to a whole ‘notha level, and I’m sure Ma would approve. Of course, if you want to keep it simple, just skip the dip, and you won’t be disappointed. Well, you might be a little…
These kisses require only 5 ingredients and about 35 minutes to prepare, including the dipping. That’s pretty amazing for a Christmas cookie! They are vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar free, and suitable for paleo diets (although I’m not sure cavemen had access to chocolate…)
The only slightly tricky part is forming the dough into balls (or mounds, or whatever shape you want,) because it’s really sticky! You can get around this by keeping a little dish of cold water by your bowl and dipping your fingers to keep the mixture from sticking to them too much.
Melt your dipping chocolate while you wait for your baked kisses to cool, then dip away! I dipped half in the chocolate, then used the tines of a fork to fling the rest of the chocolate on top. But do whatever suits you! Dip the whole thing if you like, or just glaze the top… whatever floats your boat.
I have to warn you, though- they’re addictive! They’re small and easy to pop into your mouth. I don’t normally have the urge to eat past my, ahem… “reasonable point of fullness”… but these little bites of heaven defy all sense of reason. The flavour and texture combination of sweet toasted pecans, chewy coconut, tart dried cranberries, rich dark chocolate, just a pinch of salt… well, they can be dangerous. There, you’re warned.
Now, go make them.
Chocolate-dipped Cranberry Pecan Kisses
The prep time includes the time it takes to cool and dip them... these cookies are fast!
- 1 cup raw pecans
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried cranberries
- pinch of salt
- 2 oz 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180C (375F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pecans in a blender or food processor, and process until fine crumbs form. Don’t over-process or the pecans will get oily.
- Remove to a mixing bowl and add coconut, maple syrup, chopped cranberries, and salt. Mix well, until mixture sticks together when you press it.
- Form small (¾-inch) balls, wetting your fingers as necessary to keep mixture from sticking. Place on baking sheet about 1½ inches apart.
- Bake 14-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack and cool for 10- 15 minutes before dipping.
- To dip, melt chocolate and coconut oil over very low heat in a small saucepan. Dip one side of each pecan ball into the chocolate. Set on parchment paper. Use a fork to distribute the remaining chocolate over the dipped kisses.
- Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate is set, then store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
4 thoughts on “Chocolate-dipped Cranberry Pecan Kisses”
Ohhh are these ever up my alley!!! They’re officially on the holiday must-make list. Something tells me I’ll have a bit of trouble stopping at the comfortably-full level too 🙂 And gorgeous photos!!!
Jacklyn, these little things are more addictive than any cookie or sweet I’ve ever made!! And they are SO fast to make… so dangerous, ha! But healthy too, so I just enjoy! Hope you will too!! xx
We tried the Cranberry Kisses. So YUMMY! Thanks for a great new recipe. Wishing a Wonderful 2016 to you and yours!
Aunt Amy, I have to say these were my all-time favourite of the season and I’m not sure I’m going to limit them to Christmas, ha ha! I’m so glad you enjoyed them too. 🙂 Love & hugs to you & yours… Happy New Year!!! xoxo