Hello, friends! As we move into summer here in Manila (and it seemed happen overnight, right??), my craving for oatmeal doesn’t diminish… but my craving for hot food certainly does! These carrot cake overnight oats are the perfect answer: you get your oatmeal fix AND don’t have to heat up the kitchen (or yourself!) to enjoy them. Better yet, they can be made in advance and in multiple quantities so you can have breakfast in a snap.
Yes, your oats are raw… and eating them uncooked (just soaked) may even have a few health benefits. One, soaking increases the physical digestibility of the oats by breaking down some of their indigestible fibres. Also, eating oats (or any grain, cooked or uncooked) after chilling increases the amount of “resistant” starch they contain. These starches take longer to be metabolised and therefore provide a lower insulin response and blood sugar rise than if they were eaten hot. As if you needed another good reason to make this recipe!
The process is simple and uses just a few ingredients: rolled oats (don’t use quick or instant oats as the texture of your finished product will be too mushy), chia seeds (thickens your oats and also adds healthy fat and fiber), and liquid (I use almond milk, but feel free to use any milk you like.) Beyond that, it’s shredded carrots, spices, and protein powder for an extra boost (this is optional, but if you don’t use it, add a bit of sweetener like honey or maple syrup.)
Just mix everything together and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The oats & chia will soak up all the liquid and in the morning you have a cool, creamy, chewy, & satisfying porridge. You can eat it as is or add toppings (highly recommended!) I like fresh fruit, toasted coconut flakes, nut butter or chopped walnuts… the options are endless!
This recipe makes 2 servings, but it will double easily to make 4. It keeps in the fridge for about 3-4 days so if you make a double recipe, plan on sharing! You could also eat it multiple times a day with no judgment from me.
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
The total time includes soaking (overnight) time.
- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 2 T. unsweetened dried coconut (optional)
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- ¼ t. ginger
- 3 oz (about ½ cup) freshly shredded carrot
- 3-4 T. vanilla or caramel-flavoured protein powder
- 1 1/3- 1 ½ cups almond milk or soy milk
- Toppings (optional): sliced fresh strawberries, toasted coconut flakes, almond butter, chopped walnuts
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, or divided equally between 2 Ball jars, mix all ingredients (except toppings) until well-blended.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight or about 6 hours.
- Top as desired and enjoy.
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
Serves: 2 servings
|Amount Per Serving:|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||9.2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||11.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Expat Dietitian