These banana oatmeal pancakes whip up in 5 minutes and use only 3 basic ingredients that are probably in your kitchen right now: oatmeal, eggs, & banana. How easy is that?
When I was a kid, pancakes were our usual Saturday breakfast, and I loved them. My mother made the best buttermilk pancakes in the world… light, white, fluffy things that soaked up as much maple syrup as you could pour on. And we were taught to pour it over each pancake as we stacked, so as to get the maximum soakage possible. I think we went through a whole bottle of syrup every Saturday…
Hmm… yes… now I see the correlation between my Saturday morning pancake breakfast and my Saturday afternoon sloth-like tendencies as a teenager!
I did go through a period of “pancake aversion” due to my memories of post-pancake fogginess. However, I do really love them… they bring back memories of childhood and leisurely Saturday mornings… so it would be a shame to forgo them completely.
That’s why I adore this recipe… these pancakes are light, fluffy, and white enough for my kids to love. However, they contain no white flour (no flour at all, actually), no sugar, and no oil except what you cook them in. Aaannnd… they’re topped with a mixed berry compote rather than maple syrup. That means no blood sugar crash later. You’re welcome.
You can whip up the batter in 5 minutes with just mashed banana, egg whites, and oatmeal. Because of my heavy training of late, I also add half a scoop of protein powder per serving. But you don’t need to… a few tablespoons of coconut flour also does the trick.
But don’t forget the mixed berry compote. This simmers on the stove in 5 minutes whilst you’re flipping away, and it’s good on everything: your stack of pancakes, swirled into Greek yogurt, or poured over a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream.
When your day begins as healthy as this, the sky’s the limit. Enjoy, friends!
Banana Oatmeal Pancakes with Mixed Berry Compote
For the pancakes:
- 2 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 6 egg whites, beaten lightly
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (can sub 3 T. coconut flour)
- ¼ t. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 t. coconut oil
For the mixed berry compote:
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries (do not thaw)
- ¾ cup water
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1-2 T. honey (can sub 2 packets stevia)
To make the pancakes:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients in the order given. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat half the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour batter into rounds on the skillet (my skillet fits 4.) Cook until bubbles form and break and the edges begin to dry out.
- Flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds to a minute longer. Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining oil and batter.
- Makes 8 pancakes (2-3 servings.)
To make the compote:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat. Mixture will continue to thicken as it stands.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
2 thoughts on “Banana Oatmeal Pancakes with Mixed Berry Compote”
I love those pictures SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 Those are my favorite food pictures that you have ever taken! They make those pancakes look even more delicious and desirable than I know they are! You have gotten so much better at food presentation than you were when you first started blogging. Your pictures look so profesional already! AMAZING job!!!!
Sara, you lovely, lovely girl!! You know you always make my day with your beautiful comments. 🙂 Thank you for your encouragement ALWAYS!!! I am blessed to be your mother. 🙂 xoxox